    >> okay, so here I think that I disagree.  Is that name valid in the
forward?

    james> I could accept a standard that required every reverse mapped
    james> name to be resolvable in the forward over unicast DNS, but I
    james> would say that's a separable problem from the one I'm
    james> suggesting could be taken up now.  One step at a time...

okay.

    james> -----
    james> Perhaps my choice of "local." as the default zone for RFC
    james> 6106 ULA prefix addresses is unwise as it could be confusing
    james> in the presence of mDNS on the same segment as the unicast
    james> DNS service.

    james> Suppose a host named "zardoz" is attached to the link at several
interface addresses:

    james> fd35:5a4b:92a9:fb::1001
    james> 2001:5a8:4:2290::1001
    james> 2001:5a8:4:2290:a95f:dd2e:3201:eafc
    james> fe80::0200:ff:fe00:1

    james> All those addresses will be reverse mapped over mDNS to
    james> "zardoz.local." under every implementation that I know about
    james> today.  Which makes sense if you think about it.  Every mDNS
    james> responder host is responsible for knowing its own name and
    james> answering to it.

yes, I know... mDNS already has the info, which is why I suggest that
the info come from there.

    james> In the unicast DNS case, the content server probably does not
    james> know-- and arguably should not know-- the name of every host
    james> in the zone, so that's why it's wise to expect it will be
    james> synthesizing host names.  Whether the default zone for ULA
    james> reverse mapping names over unicast DNS is "local." or
    james> "homenet." or something else is only tangentially relevant
    james> here.  It's the same problem no matter what TLD we allocate
    james> for this purpose.

so, you are suggesting that zardoz's reverse entries does not get
answered by unicast DNS unless I click on "zardoz" in my content
server's UI, and say, "export".

I'm suggesting that the "export" button should be in the UI of zardoz,
and be signaled via mDNS.