In message <cc3d8f6e.7861%lee.how...@twcable.com>
"Howard, Lee" writes:

> >    Ted> You secondary a zone so that the contents of the zone will be
> >    Ted> there when a query happens, but why would a query happen if the
> >    Ted> CPE device isn't reachable?  What would trigger that query?
> >    Ted> So I think you can get away with _not_ secondarying the zone.
> >    Ted> But if you do want to secondary it, why would the ISP be
> >    Ted> responsible for that?   Presumably the customer is pretty
> >    Ted> savvy; a secondary for their reverse tree would just be another
> >    Ted> service they'd want to buy or set up, and the ISP could wash
> >    Ted> their hands of it or sell it, whichever they chose.
> >
> >My suggestion is that the ISP secondary the zone from the CPE, but
> >actually advertise only their server in the NS delegation.  (The CPE
> >remains a stealth primary)
>
> I need to see an internet-draft problem statement.  I still don't believe
> there is one, and I have no plans to provide IPv6 reverse DNS for
> residential subscribers.  Any ISPs planning to do this?
>
> Lee

Lee,

IMO IPv4 residential customer use is different than IPv6 use.

With IPv4 residential customers the only externally visible address is
the address of the NAT and that is dynamically allocated.

For IPv6 residential customers there is no reason not to statically
allocate a /64.  Each host can have a persistant globally routable
IPv6 address and then rDNS starts to make sense.

btw- How about SoHo customers and small business customers paying more
for their service and demanding static addresses?

Curtis

> This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner Cable
>  proprietary information, [ ...]

redirect to /dev/null please.