On Sep 11, 2012, at 12:24 PM, Michael Thomas <m...@mtcc.com> wrote:
> Maybe somebody can educated me, but isn't it a bit dangerous to use
> an auto-configured address as a way to contact a host? If I change out my
> ethernet hardware, for example, my auto-conf address would normally
> change too, right?

No.   Things change.   All that's required to deal with this is that the
underlying protocol support it.   The DHCP DUID identification system does
support this kind of change, as long as the actual device doesn't change.   If
the device changes, then when the registration expires, the name can be
reclaimed.

> DHCP may be a solution but it ought not be the only solution, right? What if
> there's no relationship between my dns repository and the DHCP server? That
> is, suppose that Google hosted my DNS and thus wasn't actually on my home
> network. I suppose that a home router could work in concert by either working
> with its DHCP or listening to mdns chatter and then doing IXFR's to a name
> server. Is that what's being talked about?

If there is no relationship between the home gateway, which is the DHCP server
in the case I'm describing, and the DNS server, then this can't work whether
the protocol used for getting names is mDNS or DHCP or some third protocol we
haven't talked about yet.