On Oct 22, 2012, at 11:28 , mike <m...@mtcc.com> wrote:

> I'd say that until we have source address selection that actually works and
> is widely
> deployed, that taking anything off the table is premature. Source address
> selection
> applies just as much on a homenet as anyplace else.

Disagree.  My opinion is that the potential for catastrophic damage to the
utility of the Internet by the ubiquitous deployment of NPT66 in residential
gateways poses too grave a risk for us to continue seriously entertaining it as
a viable approach to any of the problems in our ambit.  I would say that it
MUST be deprecated by the arch document.

For anyone arguing in favor of using NPT66 in residential gateways, I think
it's fair to ask them for solutions to the problem statement in
I-D.carpenter-referral-ps
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-carpenter-referral-ps> in support of that
idea. Referral in IPv4 was badly broken by the introduction of NAT44, and the
ubiquitous deployment of NPT66 in residential gateways would repeat the error
with IPv6.

I would say HOMENET should not be seriously considering that as an option.  Is
there any significant disagreement on that point?  Are there people here who
might be willing to stand up and argue that the referral problem is secondary
to other objectives well served by deploying NPT66 in home network access
routers?  If so, then what are those objectives?  I'm having a hard time
understanding what they might be.

> Probably even moreso when you consider corporate VPN's.

Actually, VPN is usually just a special case of MIF, i.e. individual hosts are
multihomed, not the whole homenet.  This is a much simpler situation to manage,
and solutions for that space are already ubiquitous.

--
james woodyatt <j...@apple.com>
core os networking