From: homenet-boun...@ietf.org [mailto:homenet-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of
Mikael Abrahamsson
Sent: woensdag 7 november 2012 19:07
To: Andrew McGregor
Cc: homenet@ietf.org Group; Ted Lemon; Ralph Droms
Subject: Re: [homenet] regarding recursive DHCPv6-PD

On Wed, 7 Nov 2012, Andrew McGregor wrote:

> But that's single-delegating-router, not recursive.  The problem with
> recursive is figuring out what prefix length a sub-delegating router
> is going to ask for from its upstream.  For a single-delegating-router
> setup, you just ask for either a bunch of /64s or something that just
> contains enough of those to cover all your downstream interfaces.  In
> a recursive situation, you don't know what you will need further
> downstream.

For me, I've always taken for granted that the ISP CPE gets a /56 or something,
and then it's fine to subdelegate /64s out of that as needed, and subdelegating
routers request a /64 at a time as needed, and relay for sub-sub-delegating
routers (as OP suggested).

The hard part is to get the source based routing to work so that packets
flowing upstream exit via the correct ISP CPE (if the home is multihomed to
multiple ISPs) depending on what source address they have, so as to avoid
getting dropped by uRPF filters.

I'm surprised the subnet allocation size is still being discussed, I haven't
followed the working group as closely as I should, but I hope we can get
through this quickly.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swm...@swm.pp.se