Also consider a dual-homed homenet where one ISP gives a /64 and the
other gives a /56. I guess that has to revert to bridging mode too.

I was going to suggest a solution, where the router within the homenet simply asks for a DHCP-PD, and if it gets one it keeps routing, otherwise it reverts to bridging. But if the homenet is dual-homed with a /64 and a /56, this would automatically exclude the /64 prefix from being used, ass the router would get a DHCP-PD from the /56 but not from the /64 and wouldn't even know that that /64 exists. But maybe that's a good thing unless the /56 points to a walled garden.... In that case a reachability test to a specific test router in the Internet could tell about the walled garden, and eventually force the router to put itself in bridging mode.

Mat