On 11/08/2012 07:07 AM, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
On Thu, 8 Nov 2012, Howard, Lee wrote:

I think we should aim higher do what's best in the long run, and then CPE
manufacturers will adapt. Yes, these new CPEs might be USD5-10 more than
current generation, initially, but as these requirements spread and more
people/ISPs buy, it'll be the new lowest standard and cost will drop.

It's very generous of you to spend other people's money this way.

What is your suggestion?

New requirements mean higher spec hw, I don't really see a way around that. Do
you?

For ISPs who want to save those few dollars, they can offer NAT444 and then do
not need to require more functionality in their CPEs. In the areas where
customers have a choice, let them choose.

Let's not forget that Moore's Law will make all of this rather irrelevant
by the time this is rolled out and widespread. We're talking realistically
years and years before this is mainstream.

Mike