On Feb 21, 2013, at 8:34 PM, Michael Thomas <m...@mtcc.com> wrote:
> Sigh all you like, but I share Dave's skepticism that ISP's renumbering my
> prefix
> willy-nilly and it just sort of works with naming -- including addresses
> squirrelled
> away in places they ought not be -- is going to work any time soon. I don't
> like to
> think that NAT is inevitable but frankly the people in this working group
> don't get
> to vote on that.

It's probably also worth mentioning that in general ISPs that do this on a
regular basis are attacking their customer's network, and the resulting
instability is not the result of a failing on our part, but deliberate action
on the part of the ISP.

There are countries where ISPs are required by law to _offer_ a change of
address every 24 hours for privacy purposes.   At least in the cases I'm aware
of, ISPs don't _force_ this on their customers, but rather it's a configuration
option paranoid customers can choose, which may default to on.    This is an
inconvenience to ISPs, because it causes address pool churn, and requires a lot
of extra bits to be allocated to PE devices to accommodate all the deprecated
addresses.

Pretty much by definition, if you want to access your washing machine while
away from home, you're throwing that particular sort of privacy right out the
window.   It wasn't buying you much anyway--fuzzing the prefix by a few bits is
very easy to reverse, and because of routing hierarchies, IPv6 prefixes can't
be assigned to the customer out of the ISP's entire address space--by
definition they will be restricted to localities.

The other use case for frequent renumbering is an ISP who wants to prevent the
customer from setting up servers.   The washing machine is a server.   Either
the ISP succeeds, or fails, but in either case, they are acting directly
against the customer's wishes.    We can try to design a system that's robust
with respect to attacks like this, but in practice the best way to address this
problem is to prevent it happening on a regular basis to people who will care
about it.