Ted Lemon wrote:
On Feb 21, 2013, at 11:31 PM, Lorenzo Colitti <lore...@google.com> wrote:
My point was more that that NPTv6 doesn't make that any easier, more secure,
or... anything, really. You still have to update the address somewhere; all
that NPTv6 gives you is that now the washing machine doesn't know what its IPv6
address is. Right?

I think the issue that Michael imagines NPTv6 will address is the transition
period, when the washing machine has two IP addresses, and the DNS may not have
the new address, or may have both addresses, and he's hoping the gateway will
somehow bandage this up.   However, the gateway's ability to bandage this up is
more imagined than real, and we might as well just fix the underlying problem.

Just to be perfectly clear, I'm not imagining NPTv6 working at all. (and how
did this get turned into npt vs nat?)
My fear is that the complexity of all of this will drive people and manufacturers to
"simple" and brain dead solutions
that do not meet the requirement that I be able to control my washing machine
across the continent, for example.
Renumbering is something that has gotten a lot of attention over the years in
ietf, but its intersection with naming
is still problematic as far as I can tell in the real world, and is likely to
be even more problematic in with low-clue
home networks.

Right now, I don't think that sufficient energy is being given to just one
obvious problem: how does real DNS interact with
prefix delegation in the home (assuming that we don't want split horizon dns)?
For that matter, let me be even more blunt:
I don't think that real DNS is being given enough attention altogether in home
settings, and until that happens we'll
just inherit all of the awful hacks that are done with NATv4.

Mike