On 13 Mar 2013, at 23:47, Michael Thomas <m...@mtcc.com> wrote:

> On 03/13/2013 03:18 PM, Ray Bellis wrote:

>>> It would shock me.   Bonjour printing Just Works.
>>>
>> It's also the only way I know of to print from an iDevice.
>>
>> The 2.5 year old HP B110a printer I have at home has never been physically
>> connected to a computer.
>>
>> It has "virtual USB" drivers for Windows, but for everything else it's
>> DNS-SD.

> What I find most telling is that after 25 years, printers are still the
> canonical
> example of the "need" for SD. But printers have entire programs/wizards that
> support their existence, so they're really lousy as a canonical example. It
> would
> be nice for things to attach themselves to my net and not require their awful
> apps
> to be installed.

So you never use music collections on other devices, videos from a video
server, or throw your laptop screen to a local plasma display for easy viewing
by a group?  Those are just typical examples of common uses.  The problem
though is that without manual intervention you only see the services in your
local subnet.

Our university pretty much only has networked printers now, as they're
"managed" and thus need to be monitored by the contractor.  My homenet has two
networked printers; I don't want to rely on a specific host being up to be able
to print.

Tim