On 13/03/2013 23:47, Michael Thomas wrote:

What I find most telling is that after 25 years, printers are still the
canonical
example of the "need" for SD. But printers have entire programs/wizards  that
support their existence, so they're really lousy as a canonical example. It
would
be nice for things to attach themselves to my net and not require their awful
apps
to be installed.
Exactly. That's why the architecture needs SD, in a nutshell.

I'm not terribly convinced that SD is even the whole story which is why
I have such a hard time with the short shrift the architecture document
gives it.

After my trip down to Widgetmart I dump open a bag of ip widgets,
would they self organize? Should they self-organize? Everybody here
keeps talking about zeroconf, after all. If not, what is expected of me
(the end user) in their use and/or assembly? What problems are we
trying to solve in my home? Is SD as its currently implemented by
Apple *exactly* what we want in the long  term? How do we even know
how to answer that question if the  problem/requirements aren't even
documented?

Mike