On 09/13/2014 10:16 AM, Acee Lindem (acee) wrote:
I agree with Markus. The conflicting goals of self-configuration and
security seem to be a recurring theme in homenet. I reread the security
section in the ³Homenet Architecture² and it mainly covers with security
at the edges (which presumes effective edge detection). There is this
statement regarding the internal homenet:

    3.6.4.  Exfiltration concerns

    As homenets become more complex, with more devices, and with service
    discovery potentially enabled across the whole home, there are
    potential concerns over the leakage of information should devices use
    discovery protocols to gather information and report it to equipment
    vendors or application service providers.

    While it is not clear how such exfiltration could be easily avoided,
    the threat should be recognised, be it from a new piece of hardware
    or some 'app' installed on a personal device.

This is definitely something we¹ll need to come to terms with to move
forward and there may be more than one model.

I think we should be clear that hijacking router-router traffic brings a whole new class of breaches that home networks are probably not particularly susceptible to today. An active man in the middle is a very bad thing and that seems trivially
doable without some precautions.

This is yet another reason why I keep saying that the goal should be "littleconf"
rather than "zeroconf".

Mike