On Wed, 17 Sep 2014, Michael Thomas wrote:

If we were to do that, it might be nice to have a distributed database of homenet devices such that I only had to enroll it on one of my homenet devices, and then it's distributed to the rest.

That is exactly what I tried to propose.

I agree, if we are going to do define some sort of asymmetric crypto scheme for HNCP, we need to have an automated PKI management. However I don't think this should be a part of HNCP itself but instead a separate protocol.

Personally I would probably go with something IPSec-based as main security mechanism for HNCP for now until we have a clear view of how that PKI-scheme and the trust-management should look like taken into account that we have a some special issues here, i.e. how to do revocation if devices potentially don't have network access / an accurate clock at the time of authentication.

Also even if we define them I'm not sure as to how much complex PKI-based crypto-schemes will be actually implemented in practice.

Regards,

Steven