Just to provide a pointer to a way that another org decided to handle a similar
problem (and I'm not suggesting this is the right approach -- I'm just trying
to provide food for thought):
http://upnp.org/specs/gw/deviceprotection1/

UPnP Device Protection uses X.509 certificates (which can be self-signed, and
in order not to assume a WAN connection, really should be self-signed) and TLS.

It describes a couple of ways that initial trust and role assignment (what they
are authorized to do, once authenticated) can be accomplished. These absolutely
need to involve the user. But they need to be as simple as possible.

It also describes a mechanism where the list of trusted devices, their keys,
and roles (authorizations) can be provided by one device to another. That
allows the user to pair a new device with one other device in the network
(don't care which), and then be provided the full list of all other such
trusted devices, their keys, and roles.
Barbara