On 9/19/14, 12:38 PM, Ted Lemon wrote:
On Sep 19, 2014, at 1:22 PM, Mark Baugher <m...@mbaugher.com> wrote:
AFAICT, we've been discussing key format or DLTS vs IPsec.  That discussion
presumes that you have some way for a CPE from ISP-a to securely accept HNCP
from ISP-b, or the user's new AP/router, and so forth.  How does that happen?
Michael Richardson had some suggestions back on the 17th.   There's definitely
been more talk of keys than mechanisms since then, but that is precisely why I
said what I did about the HNCP key discussion.

I think the larger implication is that if HNCP has implications of needing to deal with multiple different trust boundaries and how they interact, asking whether we need "IPsec or DTLS and then are we done?" is profoundly premature. A home network is a vulnerable and very complicated environment even today, and adding a lot more functionality without plumbing the depths of the security implications will only make a bad situation much worse.

Mike