> Op 19 feb. 2015, om 22:27 heeft Ole Troan <otr...@employees.org> het volgende
> geschreven:

>>> +1.
>>>
>>> there are very few shared media around anymore.
>>
>> Still one to phase out: spectrum ;-)
>>
>> I would say the opposite, I see kids that have never been connected to a
>> wired link. What about wireless repeaters, which forward packets and do not
>> have a network jacket? Wireless backhaul links to ISP?
>
> yes, at L1 but not L2, which was what I was trying to say. citing 802.11 as
> an example.

Hmm, I don't know what a L2 shared medium is.

More important: as long as switching IP addresses break connections, subnetting
WiFi APs is really bad. So what we do today is setup our multiple home WiFi AP
networks in the same subnet, same broadcast domain. Handover isn't great, but
it works.

As long as we don't bring in a WLAN controller or alternative, what is our
plan?

Teco

> cheers,
> Ole
>

>> Teco
>>

>>> I don't think I've ever been connected to a 10base5.
>>> why should the IP subnet model emulate a shared medium, when the physical
>>> topology is a star.
>>>
>>> wireless with security is also a star topology, with a unidirectional
>>> broadcast channel.
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>> Ole