> I am not mandating that each and every device is in its own broadcast
> domain, I am however advocating that we leave the model that has been
> prevalent for 10-15 years at least, ie that a home gateway has a "WAN"
> port and 4 "LAN" ports, and these 4 ports are bridged.

You certainly have a point -- that's something we never discussed, and it
appears that there's no consensus.

> I'm saying the typical device should have 4-5 "L3" ports. You're then
> free to connect one of these to your L2 switch if you so please.

I'll just point out that on all the hardware I know this is
configurable -- it's quite possible to set up an OpenWRT router to put
each Ethernet port on a different VLAN.

So perhaps a Homenet router could ship with the LAN ports bridged, and
have a configuratifon option somewhere in the "Beware the tiger" tab of
the "Advanced" menu that allows unbridging selected ports?

(I'm sure somebody will point out that the right configuration could be
chosen automatically, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the set of
interfaces changing at runtime on a home router.)

-- Juliusz