> Op 20 feb. 2015, om 09:04 heeft Henning Rogge <hro...@gmail.com> het volgende
> geschreven:
>
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 8:56 AM, Teco Boot <t...@inf-net.nl> wrote:
>> Bad luck, I kindly ask you to pay a little more attention to it. Link
>> metrics for wireless links are crucial, but let's not forget wired links.
>>
>> Some years ago, Thales NLD worked on olsr-lc (link costs, ETT). A plugin
>> probed WiFi link speed with large & small packets, filtered out jitter and
>> used the outcome as link metric (merged with ETX, I think). For static
>> networks and very patient people, it may work. For mobile networks, it is
>> far, far to slow. Convergence is tens of minutes. Speed up some timers
>> increases load on the wireless links to unacceptable levels. So it died.
>>
>> But for wired links at homes, this plug&play mechanism could work out well.
>> No L2 API needed.
>
> There is also the "linklayer database" approach I selected for my
> olsrd2 implementation. Instead of hardcoding linklayer specific code
> into the metric, I split the codebase into "link layer gathering" code
> (which is often OS and linklayer specific), generic routing metric
> code... and a generic API in between that stores the values.
>
> This makes it quite easy to adapt the codebase to new linklayer types.

So you have the placeholder for an automatic ethernet link speed detection.
Great!

We cannot trust ethernet port L2 feedback. Ports can be connected to switches
with multi-rate ports. Could be powerline, wired_over_wireless bridges or other
stuff that hides a slow link. In homes, there is no place for protocols that
cannot detect and handle such cases.

Teco