On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 2:22 PM, Dave Taht <dave.t...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 12:33 PM, Juliusz Chroboczek
> <j...@pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr> wrote:
>>> I'd be a bit curious to know what people are using for test hardware.
>>
>> The WNDR3800/WNDR3700v2 is still my favourite.  I've still got a couple
>> Asus 500GP v1, and they're just fine if you don't need 802.11n and can
>> fit in the slightly more limited flash.
>
> Despite evaluating well over 60 products and chipsets in the past 3
> years, I have yet to find something as nice as the wndr3800 as either
> a R&D or day to day ultra-reliable home router.
>
> More generically the ag71xx/ath9k chipsets it used are the most
> aimiable to hacking on and there are hundreds upon hundreds of current
> products based on that, like the WZR the homewrt folk used.
>
> However single cpus like that with 32k dcache proved not up to the job
> of 802.11ac and there is a lot of chaos and crap gear going around on
> that standard.
>
> Elsewhere the whole wifi industry is seemingly in a race to the
> bottom. As one example, I use the nanostation M5s heavily, and they
> (silently) changed the underlying chipset last year from one with two
> ethernet interfaces, to 1 connected to a 100Mbit switch. Result - no
> link status anymore, the impossibility of measuring traffic well
> across the two interfaces, and an increase of latency under load to
> the buffering in the switch.
>
> The new nanostation IS a bit faster (mips 74k based rather than 24k),
> and has twice the ram, for the same cost as the old, and it still has
> 8MB flash, so I should not complain too much, I guess. (My typical
> topology is 2 nanostations connected to a picostation  M2HP AP)
>
> I have been seeking an integrated outdoor tri radio replacement for
> that particular setup for a long time.
>
> As for everything else I have evaluated, I am thinking of publishing
> it all, after I tone down the invective logged in my notes.
> Most recently I took a look at two 802.11ac products from d-link.
>
> https://lists.bufferbloat.net/pipermail/bloat/2015-February/002310.html
>
> ubnt is *clued* in comparison to nearly everyone else.

The tp-link archer C7 v2, after a year of teething pains on the ath10k
interface, is a not horrible platform for openwrt development
(and the ath9k also on board, is great).  Just dont expect the claimed
802.11ac rates on the wifi,  it does not have enough
cpu to push it that hard. It was only getting wndr3800 style
forwarding rates when I last tried on on ethernet also.

I was fairly impressed with the capabilities of the netgear x4, but was
able to crash it regularly in testing when I last pulled it out and I dont think
the gpl drop landed yet so there is no open source for it.

There are a couple other 802.11ac routers out there like asus´s and
so on, I do hope the market starts sorting out one or more that is useful
to hack on.

Felix recommended trying the d-link DIR-860L *model B*, but as yet I
havent sorted out
how to actually order that. He is also hot on the mt72 chipset in it
as a candidate for multi-station queueing.

I note that I have not, for most of the last year, been heads down
into any of this stuff, I burned out pretty badly as we stablized
cerowrt by last april and needed a major break.

I happen to like gfiber´s new ethernet/wifi/video gw quite a bit, but
that is only just now beginning be deployed in austin, and there is
still a need for a followup release of the software, and I cant talk
about it much, since I worked on it. I dont see much hope of seeing
general support for the chipset it used (mindspeed) in mainline linux,
either.

..

I think that is all of my invective-free notes on various existing products.