> On Feb 20, 2015, at 11:50 AM, Dave Taht <dave.t...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The homenet working group has been laboring for several years now to
> find ways to make ipv6 more deployable to home (and presumably small
> business) users.
>
> In addition to multiple specification documents some code has been
> produced to try and make things easier. At least in the USA, comcast
> has rolled out IPv6 to everyone that can get dhcpv6 to sort of work on
> their router, and/or is willing to install a custom firmware on their
> router to get that, and of course tunneling ipv6 is possible if the
> ISP does not support it.
>
> So a quick poll:
>
> 0) Have you managed to get ipv6 working at all? If so, how? What sort
> of problems did you encounter?

Works fine at both my Cambridge home and my Mountain View Condo. In both cases
I’m using Airport Extremes as the home router. In one case it’s a DOCSIS 3.0
modem from Comcast, with the Airports doing PD. In the other case it’s behind a
pair of Ubiquity radios homed on a Linux router in turn connected to Comcast
business service with PD.

> 1) Have you attempted to deploy a routing protocol in your home? Which
> one, and why?

I run OSPF at home in Cambridge, mostly to route in a controlled way among some
VLANs I use for isolation purposes. There are trunk VLANs running from the main
switch to an access switch in my home office.

> 2) Have you attempted to get hnetd's prefix distribution system
> working? (it supports linux mainline and openwrt presently)

No. The Airport Extreme IPv6 with PD has been adequate for my needs.

> 3) Do you use ethernet? How many clients in your home are ethernet connected?

Yes. Total count excluding 802.11 clients is probably 10-12. 4 macs, a NAS,
AppleTV, two Tivos, Sonos bridge, 2 printers.

> 4) Do you use wifi?
Yes, extensively - In Cambrige to get coverage I have a WiFi AP in each of the
3 floors (Airport Extreme + 2 Airport express.

> How many clients are wifi connected?
additional 5-7

> Do you use
> range extenders?

No, each of the AP’s is wired with Cat5 to a big Cisco Cat3600 switch/router.

> 5) How many devices do you think you will have connected to the
> network in your home in 5 years? How many now?

In five years, probably at least 50, maybe more if I decide to use WiFi light
bulbs and window/door sensors and other random stuff.

> 6) Do you use any other network connected technologies (homeplug,
> 802.14, LTE, etc). If so, which ones, and why?
Not at present. All 802.11AC and N.

> 7) Do you use mdns service discovery?

Yes, extensively.

> 8) Why are you here? (especially, if your answers to 0-2, are "no”)
Because bridging sucks, and IPv6 allows us to have aminimal-touch routing
solution that “just works”.