Hi Homenet chairs & list,

Before we lose this, let it be noted that we seemed to have arrived at
"no" for an answer to whether we want to deal with non-transitive
networks, *as part of this particular routing protocol discussion*.

If I'm misrepresenting the outcome from today's meeting, someone please
correct me.

(As a nail in the coffin for this:  IPv6 isn't even implemented for NBMA
networks, which a mesh falls under.  Without special ND handling, Hidden
nodes will fail DAD, and you can't expect to get a mac address for a
node you don't get multicast to.  Before anyone reminds me of RFC 2491,
please point to an implementation / a wifi mesh that runs MARS.)

(The big community meshes usually don't have stupid clients in the
ad-hoc cloud.  If you're in ad-hoc, you speak the mesh protocol.  Stupid
clients go to a separate AP/BSS on a mesh router of their choosing.)

I *don't* think meshes are out of scope for homenet.  I do think meshes
need a mesh routing protocol.  But pulling this into the current
discussion seems to generate nothing but waste heat.

As a consequence, when we talk about 802.11, we would be talking about
AP / BSS, not ad-hoc / IBSS.  No hidden node problem.  No intransitive
reachability.  Massively reduced marginal links (because when you start
losing beacons between AP and Client, you'll be deassociated.)

Cheers,

-David