On Wed, 12 Aug 2015, Ray Hunter wrote:

gone away. With ECMP you just get bad packet loss if load balancing is per packet.

Ugh, per-packet load balancing is bad, mmkay. It causes frequent packet reordering and we don't want that.

So I don't believe at all in ECMP "solving" that problem.

Also, a future homenet router, I would imagine it's going to look different from what current home gateways look like, it's going to have multiple "wan" ports that actually will have direct access to the SOC without any L2 chip in between, or at least the L2 switch is going to have a lot more capacity towards the SOC than 1-2 gigs. Also, there is going to have to be integration between the switch and the OS so the OS can detect when the switch port goes down and not just wait until the keepalives time out.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swm...@swm.pp.se