> Do you even need more TLVs? I'm a bit rusty on DV since I've mostly been
> exposed to OSPF/ISIS and BGP all my life,

I don't know, I need to think it over.  Right now, I can see the following
issues:

  - loop avoidance: BGP has the AS_SET attribute for that, do we need
    something similar in Babel, or can we get away with the current
    feasibility signalling?

  - interference avoidance: do we want to balance over any two paths (in
    which case no signalling is needed), over non-interfering paths (in
    which case the Babel-Z extension provides all you need), over any
    wired paths (again, Babel-Z is enough), or over fully disjoint and
    non-interfering paths (in which case I'll need to extend Babel-Z in an
    incompatible manner or design a new extension)?

> but all of these can be made to load-share as soon as they discover two
> paths with identical metrics.

Yeah, but if you do it naively, performance will get worse, not better.
(The IS-IS community has it easy, they just implement things and don't
care if they make things worse.)

Folks, if anyone has done a biblio search for ECMP, I'll be grateful for
pointers.  If not, I'll take an afternoon of my copious free time and do
it myself.  (But don't hold your breath, I've got my hands full with
analysing the Battlemesh results and getting shncpd into shape, and I have
a serious teaching load that starts in early September).

-- Juliusz