Le 12/08/2015 07:17, Mikael Abrahamsson a écrit :
On Tue, 11 Aug 2015, Pat (Patricia) Thaler wrote:

Without guidance on how good the multicast packet loss rate should be,
it is difficult to define the best solution .

I'd say most applications people actually use start behaving very badly
around 0.1 - 1% packet loss. VoIP MOS goes down, TCP starts to really
get affected etc. I'd imagine most people I interact with that design
protocols design protocols have in their mind that the packet loss rate
is around this level, not higher.

So for me, the "contract" that 802.11 needs to fulfil for the IETF not
to start looking into changing IP for 802.11, is for 802.11 networks to
deliver broadcast and multicast packets with around 0.1% packet loss (or
less) as a design goal for normal operations.

In addition to treating 'multicast' in terms of delivery, reading as 'multi-media', I think we should think of multicast in terms of a mechanisms, as well.

The mechanisms to build multicast paths are essential prior to delivering multimedia data in an efficient manner.

The mechanisms include multicast tree building protocols, filtering, and more.

I believe that IETF has a rich set of multicast mechanisms, whereas IEEE only has filters. I may be wrong though.

Alex