> On 10 Jun 2019, at 11:27 pm, Michael Richardson <mcr+i...@sandelman.ca> wrote:
>

> Ted Lemon <mel...@fugue.com> wrote:
>> For dns updates, SIG(0) works fine. I have code you can steal that
>> works with mbedtls and ecdsa. Signing and validation.  But I think TLS
>> client certs can also work.  Proving the front end servers identity
>> sounds like the hard part.
>
> Just to ask again clearly:
>
> 1a) is it possible to authorize an AXFR transfer by SIG(0)?

Yes.

> 1b) is it possible to authorize an SOA query by SIG(0)?

Yes.

> 2) is anyone doing AXFR over TLS  (DPRIVE)?
>
> {3) is RFC3007 really the most recent text on dynamic DNS?}

What has changed to need a more recent RFC?  Once you can identify the
requesting party, which SIG(0) and TSIG can do, the rest is policy.

I suppose we could have DHCP clients send KEY rdata as part of the DHCP
request for DHCP servers to insert in the reverse zone when addresses /
prefixes are allocated to allow the clients to use SIG(0) UPDATE requests
to update reverse zones.  This would allow for more than PTR records to
be added to reverse zones.  I did write a I-D about this for PD but got
no traction[1].  The technique would work equally well for individual addresses.
All it really requires is a DHCP code point to be allocated.

[1] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-andrews-dnsop-pd-reverse/

>>> On Jun 8, 2019, at 6:32 PM, Michael Richardson <mcr+i...@sandelman.ca>
>>> wrote:

>>> Certificates are exchanged/created at manufacturing time (IDevID), and then
>>> optionally updated to LDevID.  The certificate contains the name of the zone
>>> which the HNA is authoritative for (or a control record pins the
>>> certificate).
>>>
>>> TSIG requires a shared secret, thus a database of shared secrets available
>>> online.   I don't want to do TSIG over TLS, I want to not do TSIG, or
>>> if I have to use TSIG for mechanical reasons, I want to derive the secret
>>> From the TLS.
>>>
>>> I need to authorize the following:
>>> 1) DNS update of some data (NS, DS, AAAA that NS points to) by
>>> Distribution Master (cloud/public system)
>>> 2) SOA query by Distribution Master by HNA.
>>> 3) AXFR by Distribution Master by HNA.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Michael Richardson <mcr+i...@sandelman.ca>, Sandelman Software Works
>>> -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-