--- Walter Lewis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --
 I went
> to move the van and I then
> saw the most obscene thing I have seen musically
> in a very long time. They
> had brought back the equipment in a brand new
> custom trailer with the
> school's name and mascot plastered all over the
> side of it.

Walter et al,

The high school I used to be assistant band
director at, Spartanburg HS, Spartanburg, SC, now
has a full size 18 wheeler tractor trailer rig for
their instruments, uniforms, and other stuff.  It,
too, has the school logo and mascot (a Viking)
painted on it.  Given that, Spartanburg HS did not
make the State Marching Band finals this year.  In
fact, they never even came close, and haven't since
I left.  (Small pat on my back.)

Don't know what the bands who made the finals use
now for their transportation, but I know it's a far
cry from the school buses and school delivery van
we had when I was teaching HS in the early 1980s.

Don't get me wrong.  I think Marching band can be a
valid musical, emotional, and bonding experience
for students and community alike.

It just seems that recently Marching Band is ruling
the music program, and that a true, sequential
music cirriculum no longer exists in many places,
especially here in the south, where the weather is
warmer ang marching season can last longer.

Wilbert