--
Colleagues,

I will add my 2 cents worth as well. One of my students came to me with a
brand new stencil Bach/Yamaha 567. Without a doubt, it was the worst thing
I have ever tried to get into tune. I would not recommend one to anyone. My
student became so frustrated with the horn, that he eventually went onto
hornplayer.net and found a used Alexander 103 for a great price. The best
part was the horn was in our area, so we went and played it and his mother
cut a check for it on the spot. He had more trouble trying to get rid of
the Bach/Yahama, but he was successful. One other hornist in a community
band that I play with has one, and I'm not sure whether it is his lack of
talent or if it is the horn.

On another note, Bob Losin and I had a surprise visitor to Southeast
Michigan this week. Our good colleague, John Kowalchuk made a run from the
Canadian border and paid a little visit to Bob's little shop of horns. We
had a great time talking about horns, taking side trips to used tool and
machine shops and the like. If you've not had the pleasure of meeting John
at an IHS event, you've missed a great experience. I also got a chance to
play on his Mellocant and later to use of one his very fine mutes...

Have a great day everyone,

Walt Lewis

--

---