What I found out about Francis Hellstein and the Detroit Symphony horn
section. (WARNING: probably way more than anyone would want to know)

After reading the exchange amongst Ellen Manthe, Anne Megenity and our
esteemed tuba-centric sister in conicality, (my spell check keeps trying to
change this to comicality!?) Carole Nowicke regarding Francis Hellstein, I
decided to check the out the set of D.S.O programs at N.Y.PL. to supplement
my meager knowledge of this shadowy figure that seems to only crop up in
Julius Watkins liner notes and Horn Call articles.

I started my perusal of programs with the 1929-30 season and this was the
section at that date was listed in this order:
(I tried my best to locate and supply first names for at least the first
appearance of an individual. This information was considered rather
superfluous in early days, so there are a few that will just have to abide
with first initials only)

Albert Stagliano
W. Macdonald
Erwin Miersch
Heinrich Hilmer
Ernst Huebner

The next 2 seasons had the horn personnel:

Albert Stagliano
James Stagliano (not a bad one-two, eh?)
Miersch
Hilmer
Huebner
Joseph Singer (apparently shifting over from the viola section at the time)

The 1932/33 season programs are missing, but the 33/34 season had the same
players, minus Joe Singer. Up to this point apparently the symphony?s
program booklet were being printed by some outside benefactor for free, but
they stopped doing this in 1934 and the meager sheet issue by the orchestra
itself did not include any personnel info.

The next season reveals the first mention of Hellstein (BTW - definitely
the only way his name was ever spelled in any program.)

Albert Stagliano
Francis J. Hellstein
Miersch
Hilmer
Huebner

In 1936/37 we see:

Hellstein
Sune Johnson
George Stimm
Hilmer
Huebner

1937/38:

Theodore A. Seder
Francis J. Hellstein
Kenneth M. Shultz (as you will see, they never could decide between Shultz
and Schultz)
Sune Johnson
Ernst Huebner

1939/40, 1940/41 & 1941/42

Albert Stagliano
Hellstein
Shultz
Johnson
Huebner

I couldn?t find the next season?s programs, but the 1943/44 programs were
most revealing since they listed the members of the section in two
different orders.

W. Hinshaw
K. Schultz
Merle Alvey
E. Heubner
F. Hellstein

and, alternately

Hinshaw
Hellstein
Schultz
Alvey
Huebner

The fact that Hellstein appears both second and last in the list leads me
to conclude that he was probably playing assistant at that point (or
possibly associate, though I doubt that this sort of arrangement would have
existed in Detroit back then).

Interestingly, the 1944/45 through 1946/47 programs list him on top:

44/45
Hellstein
Schultz
Alvey
Huebner
Theodore (Ted) Evans
Ernestine Barnes
E. Stango
G. Stimm

Some of the programs from this season have a seating diagram of the
orchestra with the player?s names keyed to numbers on the diagram and the
(possibly meaningless) lineup, from left to right goes:

Barnes/Huebner/Branson/Alvey/Stango/Shultz/Hellstein/Evans

These names don?t totally match the personnel list (Branson and Stimm may
have been non-contract players ? I have no information on either of them)
but seem to possibly indicate that Hellstein was principal, assistant or
co-principal with Evans at this point.

45/46
Hellstein
Evans
Alvey
Huebner
Barnes

46/47
Hellstein
Evans
Alvey
Frank Balaam
Barnes

Hellstein fades from view at this point. In 1947/48 the players were:

Lucius Patterson
Evans
Alvey
Schultz
Willard Darling (the beginning of a long tenure, going beyond time-span the
set of programs which end in the early 1980?s )

No programs for 1948/49 through 1952/53 are in the collection. For the
record the section in 1953/54 and 1954/55 was:

Raymond Alonge (later of longtime NYC freelance renown)
Richard Mackey (went to Boston S.O., I believe)
Patterson
Darling
Evans
Dorothy Stevens

1955/56:

Alonge
Donald Roth
Patterson
Darling
Stevens

1956/57
William (Guglielmo) Sabatini
Roth
William Brown (I know of two Bill Browns that were active in NYC sometime
after this date, but I don?t know which this would be)
Darling
Stevens

1957/58
Sabatini
Darling
Brown
Roth
Stevens

1958/59
Sabatini
Darling
Tomas Kenny
Carl Karoub
Keith Vernon

Lastly, I include the final year that I was able to locate (1980/81):

Eugene Wade (principal)
Fergus McWilliam
Edward Suave
Willard Darling
Corbin Wagner (asst.)
Keith Vernon

For the record, I have never been to Detroit, but I have heard their fine
orchestra numerous times on tour dating back to the Paul Paray days when
Art (Dave) Krehbiel was laying down the law there.

That?s it. I?m sure its quite enough.

Peter Hirsch