At 12:21 AM 2/11/03 -0500, you wrote:

For the record, I have never been to Detroit, but I have heard their fine
orchestra numerous times on tour dating back to the Paul Paray days when
Art (Dave) Krehbiel was laying down the law there.

That?s it. I?m sure its quite enough.

Great job, Peter!

Living here in the Detroit area, It has been my extreme pleasure to know some of these people.

Ellen Manthe (list member, she also did some extra work with the DSO while studying with Gene Wade), Carl Karoub (58-59) another gentleman and I played a couple of quartet jobs together a few years ago. Carl still performs in the Metropolitan area, as does Bill Brown. Both are active in AFM local 5.

Others that have served with the DSO not mentioned due to missing years are: Thomas Bacon, (he was Dave Krehbiel's Asst. Principal). I studied with Tom for a couple of years. Tom was in Detroit in the late 60' early 70's. Lowell Greer also was an assistant principal right after Bacon left to go to Berlin.

As a side note, the recent 4th auditions were for Willard Darling's position. Does anyone know who won the audition for the 4th?

Ellen, do you know who taught horn at Wayne during the 50's? Wayne State University during those days would hire musicians from the DSO as adjunct professors.

Walt Lewis
---