Fellow Hornists,

I am in need of your experience and your advice.  I have a student who is to recieve a
new horn as a graduation present.  We are trying to figure out what will be the best
horn for her, and is within her budget. ( about $2,500 U.S. dollars )  I am suggesting
that no purchase be made without playing the horn first.  I have been leaning towards
a Conn 8D as my general recommendation.  I have a student currently playing a nickel
8D that is three years old and the horn plays beautifully. I also have a student on a
Yamaha 667, and I have heard great variation in tone, intonation and ease of playing
from instruments of this model.  I have never been happy with his sounnd on this horn.

I have read Conn's literature on their different horns, and also the materials.  Is
there anyone out here that has played all of the 8D's?  ( Nickel, Rose brass and
Yellow brass)  What were you impressions of them?

I have been playing one of Walter Lawson's beautiful horns for fifteen years and have
remained blissfully ignorant of the trouble of others when it comes to choosing a
horn.  This young lady has the potential to be a GREAT hornist, and I want her to have
all of the tools she needs to reach her potential. Any and all comments on this matter
will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and Happy Thoughts
Chris