Sounds like you got something with a less resonant bell and a smaller throat.....is it
just the bell that was replaced or the tail to?  It might be too much metal in the
bell in too many wrong places.  If the bell was not spun evenly you may have a
problem.  I've noticed my Atkinson flares are very heavy and not very resonant when
flicked, but it gets the job done in the concert hall.  Let me know what kind of flare
and how much of the bell we're talking about and I might be able to solve your problem,

Hoss