Kelly,
     Playing in a High School band has some advantages, and some
disadvantages. I always hated playing in band, not only did my HS band play
incredibly sharp but the repertoire was always complete poop. As far as
having a good musical time, band in HS was like scratching my eyes out.
However, thru my Band Director's college and professional connections, I
gained other opportunities like gigs, and participation in adult events. That
is not to say that getting into college required participation in my high
school band. If you are an active, and progressing musician, I would say that
a lack of participation in HS band will not hold you back.
Spanks