Hi folks,
I have been reading our list for a few years now,
and it is apparent that concern about the quality
and longevity of instruments is not going to
dissappear... just as concern for the quality and
longevity of autos and a host of other sizeable
investments will not go away.

Indeed, Russ' reference to Consumer's Reports points
to a need we have in the larger horn community: the
need to have access to independent evaluations
of instruments. For many of us, local sources of
instruments to try out are very limited,
increasingly so as stores cut back inventory; trips
to conferences may not be practical; and my
experience with high profile horn players on the
list would suggest that most of them understandably
emphasize the role of operator over the equipment.
So, where is the Hornplayer's (Consumers) Report?

Some kind of independent evaluation would be really
valuable for many of us (and our students.) Russ'
suggestion of an independent compilation is great: but who might undertake a project
like this?

               also.....

I know some object to the idea of political commentary on a Horn-related list; I
welcome Hans' comments.

Consider the following oxymoron: independent American press.

How often are we in the US able to access independent points of view? I am very
uncomfortable with the rapid consolidation of media companies and the unprecedented
downsizing of news reporting staffs... and I have met Hans and observed that he is
highly intelligent and well informed about a range of issues un-Horn related. His
expertise and value to our community doesn't end when he sets down his horn. I, for
one, welcome the diversity of thought among our international community of member
musicians... water for the thirsty.

Best wishes,
Craig Knutson