Wilbert,

I think that you and Russ have an excellent idea.  I suppose that one reason
that the IHS doesn't want to get involved is simply the fact that
advertising is essential to keep the "Horn Call" afloat, so to speak.  What
if Brand X horn (the one that, say, does a full page ad on the back of every
issue) failed to meet the seal of approval ?

Actually this is true for so many areas of consumer goods. I know of special
interest magazines that cover such topics as firearms, automobiles,
computers etc.  The reviews are often "puff pieces" because the majority of
the revenue comes from advertisers, and they don't want to alienate a
client.

I don't suppose the National Association of Music Merchants (NAMM, a US
organization for firms in the industry ) would do it, nor does it seem the
MENC, although that would seem a logical choice. As Russ suggested it might
be a good undertaking for a graduate student.

You are correct, I think. Right now the fox is guarding the hen house.  Some
would argue that certain brands dominate the industry and therefore there is
a degree of self-elimination in the sense that they would not be purchased
if they were not consistently of a certain quality. I suppose that is true
to some degree, but then again a maker can produce a really fine horn and
still go out of business because of poor management. I am thinking of the
old Reynolds company and their Chambers and Pottag Models, for instance.
The rise of the custom makers and their success show that the big companies
were not necessarily making the best product.  Every major manufacturer
could have a custom shop and produce premium instruments above their
standard lines, and yet they don't (with the possible exception of Yamaha).
Why is this ?  Since we mention premium horns by custom makers, anyone can
put out a sign in the US and advertised themselves as a custom horn maker.
There are no standards. I suppose that if one doesn't make good custom
horns, then one won't survive in the business, but how many horns have to be
 made and sold before this conclusion is reached ?

Does this mean the government should step in ?  An intriguing thought, but
one to raise concerns in the minds of many.

Anyway the idea of independent inspection and standards is an interesting
idea, perhaps one whose time has come as people become more and more
consumer oriented about the products they purchase. Until then it is caveat
emptor.

Mark L.