I started my musical adventures playing clarinet in
the fifth grade.  My family moved when I started
eighth grade, and my new band director asked me to
change from clarinet to tuba.  I was a poor
clarinet player, at best, and he needed tubas for
the band.

Many said I would be unable to play tuba because my
top lip is very thin.  Yet, I made the West
Virginia All State Band, and got into the music
school at West Virginia University, all on tuba.

While at WVU, I was asked to change to horn,
because they had tons of tubas, but few horns.
They gave me a full scholarship to make the change,
and, being no dummy, I took the money and changed.
Again, some said I would not succeed, this time
because my bottom lip was too big!  Well, that was
more than thirty five years ago, and I'm still
playing horn, quite well, thank you very much.

I've heard stories that Mr. Ashby had this burning
desire to play the horn from an early age, and that
most told him he would not succeed.  Well, he's
been in one of the world's greatest orchestras for
years, and is probably laughing all the way to the
bank.  As Dave from Brassarts said, he's a very
nice guy, and one fantastic player.

Wilbert in SC