I can't now remember where I read it, but I remember reading a story of a
horn player (possibly in the 19th century) who thought that his abilities in
the high register were as a result of his unusually thin lips. With
advancing age, his felt that his lips had thickened somewhat, and he found
himself unable to hit the high notes in quite the same way.

He tried to get a surgeon to pare his lips down to their original thickness.
When he was unable to find anyone who was willing to perform the operation
for him, he did it himself with a razorblade, ruining his embouchure for
ever!

Jonathan West