Von: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Im
Auftrag von kerri c davies
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 26. Juni 2003 14:11
An: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Betreff: [Hornlist] Hans Pizka's mouthpiece pressure questions answered

Dear Hans Pizka:

Thank you for your reply. I am in the middle of a horn teacher
transition
right now, and will be teacherless until the fall school semester starts
in August, my first year of college. I am sorry it took so long for me
reply. Here I will try to assess your questions and comments to the best
of my ability.

1. I figured that five hours of practice would be a good idea so I would
be prepared for any possible competition with other horn players for
chairs and positions in college. I also thought more practice would only
do good, not harm. I thought that if I worked this hard, then I would
one
day I would find myself playing at the professional level, because three
hours of practice a day was not good enough. I thought the only way to
get stronger would be just to jump right off into it, in an
immersion/osmosis kind of learning process. If I never do it, I'll never
gain strength in time to meet college's musical (and the professional
playing world's) demands.

2. When I tire out to that point, I can't play an a1.

3. I thought that once you have gained the strength to play 20 second
long tones, you should make it harder to hold them out so you'll get
stronger. So I did. Because I don't have the range I used to when I am
playing  pressureless, I decided to make up for that lack by making them
longer. If I cut down long tones by one octave because I can't play the
extra upper octave, which is about fourteen tones, I multiplied that by
the twenty seconds, that means that I cut down on my playing time in the
long tones (not including the measure in between tones rest) by 480
seconds, if my math is correct. I just tried to make up for some of that
lost time.

4. Most beginners resort to pressure at that point unless they are
taking
lessons with an anal retentive teacher, don't you think? Obviously I got
away with it seven years ago. I didn't even get the privilege of private
lessons until about two years ago. I can play this note, but it's the
last  note of these long tones in Number 3 I was telling you about. At
this time, partials start dropping in the middle of this note and I
can't
pick them back up, so it is the last note of my long tones.

5. I start the slur on the c below the staff, then to the F at the
bottom
of the staff then back down to the c below the staff, them from there I
slur to a1 then to the F at the bottom of the staff, then from the F to
the c1 then back down to the a1, then from the a1 to the F at the top of
the staff, then from c1 back to the F at the top of the staff, then I
climb back down with the whole process backwards. There's a name for the
slur- I think it's called the Romington Slur, but I am not sure if this
is spelled right. Check with my horn teacher, (former, I guess) Chris
Bonner, he'll tell you the correct name.

6. Before, I ignored pressure altogether and never seemed to have a
problem with normal notes. I just needed to use excess pressure to get
the a2 and above. I still do. But I am also having difficulty trying to
figure out how much pressure is okay, because I always have an obvious
ring, and Farkas said that this is bad. He said it was one of the most
serious faults a horn player could have, and I wanted to fix it right
now
so I wouldn't have to deal with the issue when school starts. By
"burning
in hell", I mean I sound better with pressure than without, in my
opinion. My playing is fuzzy and buzzy when I try to play pressureless,
but everything else leaves an imprinted ring. When I put the horn on the
shelf for pressureless open lip slurs, everything above a g1 comes out
as
a mouthpiecy sounding buzz, and no partials, just my lip. The c1 sounds
like just a mouthpiece, not a horn tone. I don't understand.

7. Starting all over sound awfully painful, it's like what I experienced
when I mailed in the message. I told you it was like being a beginner
all
over again. But I would end up losing my scholarship to the college I am
going to and disappoint my college band director. Six weeks is a lot. I
love to play my horn, and I'd be really sad to not play it for that
long.
I did have fun playing until this pressure issue stood in my way, but I
want to make a living from this one day. Not an extravagant one, of
course. I'll take whatever I can get.  To reduce air pressure, perhaps a
larger bore horn will help with back pressure, which will help reduce
mouthpiece pressure? I have never heard of this either, but I don't
question your knowledge. I always thought more air support was good, but
perhaps less air pressure will reduce the buzzy fuzziness of my reduced
pressure tone, so no air will escape the corners.

8. Physical abilities?... What does this have to do with horn playing? I
don't know how to describe how strong my face is to you, other than what
I have already given you, Professor Pizka. It's the only face I've ever
had, so I have nothing to compare it to. I've never had this awakening
before, that I've perhaps cheated my way through playing the horn. I was
told by my former teacher not to do anything unassisted, my teacher next
year will accompany me in fixing embouchure issues. But I would be glad
to hear your advice, Professor Pizka.

        Thank you,
                Brittany Davies
set your options at