In a message dated 7/6/2003 5:14:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> In the AFM newsletter this month, or last month, something, there was an
> advertisment for the Clebsch strap. Does anyone have one? Do you have to
> have the finger hook to install it?

Brittany,

I had a Clebsch strap installed on my horn during spring this year.  For me,
it has made holding the horn MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH easier.  I've had a big
improvement in the speed with which I can use the third valve as well.  In order
to use the Clebsch strap, the pinky hook needs to be removed and a screw
affixed (soldered) to the horn.  I found the strap takes all the pressure off the
third finger enabling much quicker finger action.  I seem to have a smaller
hand than most people, and my playing was definitely inhibited by forcing my
hand span open to catch the pinky hook on my horn.  The Clebsch strap is very
comfortable to hold (even for long periods of time).

It also has eased the pressure on my left shoulder from holding the horn.
Due to a skiing accident seven years ago, I've experienced chronic shoulder pain
from holding the horn.  I certainly don't make any commissions from the
strap, but it has really been a great improvement to my horn.  I'd recommend it to
anyone.  Looks kinda' cute, too!

Sandi Taylor
Cincinnati, OH