On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, Lanetra Carther wrote:

> Me too.  I can't begin to tell you just how frustrating it is to get a
> trill up to descent speed.  Let me know about that powered wig too.

For the trill - try a purely tongue trill.  I have recommended it here
before.  With some practice, it starts instantly and runs at high speed.
To get the idea, try whistling a tongue trill - just back & forth tongue
motion.  To succeed on the horn, you have to keep up lots of air support
and really shovel air forward with your tongue.  Lip to get between the
two notes so that the forward motion clicks to the higher note.  It's a
little like riding a wild horse until it behaves.  Or a dead horse, if
nothing happens.

At the same time, you can practice either tongue or lip trills not by
gradually increasing speed, but by increasing the number of fast
repetitions.  I mean, start with

CDC rest CDC rest ...  (x 50 - until reliable)

Then CDCDC rest CDCDC rest ...

Then CDCDCDC rest ...

The powered wig I began as a little-known 18 century device used for
splitting hairs.  The manufacturer went out of business because nobody
wanted toupee for it.  But it became the inspiration for the modern
computer wysi-wyg concept: what you see is what you get.  So the powered
wig lives on - it is electrically powered now, and that is neither hair
nor there.

Now Lanetra, you simply MUST explain about "descent speed".  My ancestors
took millions of years to prepare me to be able to trill.

        {  David Goldberg:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  }
        { Math Dept, Washtenaw Community College }
                 { Ann Arbor Michigan }