I always seem to go long periods without playing much, then get involved with
serious group that requires I get my strength back so I can cover all the
registers.  If I see a part coming down the pipe that demands a solid high
register, I start practicing the part as early as possible.  But what really seems
to get me back in shape is pulling out the old twelve "Etudes Brilliantes,"
Gallay, Opus 43.  The Gallay seems to get my high register coordinated with my
low register.  Just playing the high part over and over seems to screw
everything up.  The Gallay is the exercise I need to build embouchure strength and
really extend my usable upper range.  A week or two does wonders, and you can feel
it building daily.