I personally believe in high note psychology a lot.  I had friends at
Interlochen who have taught themselves to play up to the ledger line C with ease by
just thinking that it looks higher than it actually is.   I have the same
habits as the original hornist in question with many passages, and I have very good
relative pitch.  Sometimes, notes just seem higher depending on the passage.
On a piece like Mendellsohn's Kriegsmarch from Althalia (I just played that
so it's fresh on my mind,)  it's not all too high, but it's consistently in the
upper part of the staff.  While the piece never goes above G it is almost
always fortissimo, and the horn has the melody.  While the piece is only five to
seven minutes, it's the most tiring five to seven minutes I've ever been
through, though keep in mind I have many embechoure problems, myself.  I have a
decent upper range, I'm able to play the ledger C to performance level if it's in
the right passage.  Some passages just make notes harder than others.

Mike Scheimer, Pittsburgh