Yes, this is a dilemma, trying to find the right horn when you don't have
access.  Hoss had a good suggestion with "hornplayer.com".  If you see
something you like there, the seller will generally ship the horn, after
receiving a check for the purchase price from you, with the understanding
that if you don't want it, you ship it back at your expense and he/she sends
you back your money upon receipt of the horn.  Don't know where you live,
but if you are within driving distance of a major city there should be a
larger instrument store where you can try a variety of horns...new and used
(placed on consignment).  In the San Francisco Bay area, Best Music in
Oakland is the place to go;  I purchased a used Yamaha 862 there years ago
for a very reasonable price.  Call these big stores before traveling there
and they will certainly tell you what they have at that moment.  I think
I've heard that "The Woodwind & The Brasswind" (www.wwandbw.com) will accept
new instruments back purchased from them, within a couple weeks of the
purchase, if found to be unsuitable.  Of course they must be in original new
condition, and their policies related to this should be checked with them.
However, I agree with Hoss that your best value is to find a used horn.
This both keeps your costs down and allows for a good resale price (compared
to what you paid for it) if and when you want to sell it.  One note about
Atkinson horns...I hear the custom horns he builds are very good, but that
he also imports cheap, student line horns to sell to students not wanting to
pay too much.  I hear these are to be avoided.  I also strongly suggest that
since you are relatively new to this activity, you get an experienced
hornist involved...one that knows the various makes, their general playing
characteristics, and their idiosyncrasies, and what questions to ask the
sellers of used horns.

Fred