Another source for both new and used is Wichita
Band Instrument.
http://www.wichitaband.com/

A number of years ago, they could and would arrange
factory visits into Holton and, I believe, Conn,
and the prices were better than anywhere else, period.
(And if you wanted either a Holton or a Conn, you
certainly wanted to pick it out, since the consistency
of manufacture was nothing like Yamaha's.)

After a look at the website, I'm not sure their price
advantage remains absolute, but they are indeed worth
checking out.  They will indeed ship on approval (you
pay the freight, of course).  I don't see either new
Yamahas or Conns, but Holtons, Alexanders, and Paxmans.
It appears they own a piece of Paxman.  Used stuff is,
of course, any make they happen to have.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hello everyone, Im thinking of buying a horn for myself, Im a
freshman in HS and I am playing on a repaired Holton H180 (in 8th
grade i was playing on a Holton H179, the valves sounded like a
percusion section.). I take lessons and such. I wanna buy a new
french horn for myself, so I dont have to worry about the school
taking it, and I dont want to play on something people have treated
like crap. I was thinking of buying a Conn 8D with gold or rosebrass
and a detachable bell, what model would that make it? Or a Hans Hoyer
horn, (my lesson teacher is using one, and I lover her sound), but I
dont know which model. There is one problem, my local music store
doesnt have horns on shelf, or in there stock (there not gonna have
$3000 instruments on shelf when they are not in demand down here.),
so what they do is, they special order them for the serious customer,
so I cant try them out. Niether can my lesson teacher. Are Conn 8D's
and Hoyer Horns more consistent from horn to horn (same brand and
model) now days, with our technology? Should I special order one?
What are the chances it plays like a piece of crap? Also what other
models of horns from different brands do you recommend that are good
(and are very consistent from horn to horn, without trying them out)
, and are within a $2500-$4200 price range? Your comments and advice
will greatly be appreciated.

Michael K.

P.S. How are the Conn 8D horns nowadays (new, not old ones) and the
Hoyers? And what model would a Conn 8D be if I wanted it in gold or
rosebrass, with a detachable bell? Thank you. _______________________________________________ post:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] set your options at
http://music.memphis.edu/mailman/options/horn/brunelle%40acm.org

_______________________________________________ post: [EMAIL PROTECTED] set your options at http://music.memphis.edu/mailman/options/horn/archive%40jab.org