I enjoyed that letter Hans. I can't begin to tell you how many people think
that by getting their ultimate horn (and sadly I used to think this way) that
all of a sudden your mistakes would all and dissappear and then magically you
could play like Baumann.

Wrong.

I find that now that I own a superb horn I actually have to work harder
because every hint of a bad habit is clearly audible or visible and of course
unless you have a really awful instrument the horn is never at fault.

I recently had to send my Schmid to Osmun to get a few repairs done and won't
have it back until next Wednesday or so and I'm having to use a school owned
Yamaha 668. I don't like the horn at all - it's non-responsive, clunky, heavy,
and this particular one is extremely stuffy. Plus there's a silly finger hook
which drives me crazy (I have small hands and as such never play with duck's
feet or finger hooks because they cause more problems than solutions). In fact
I'm not sure why people play with those things other than grip... seems to me
they just add unnecessary pressure.

There are times when I wish to blame the horn incessantly. However even
though sometimes with a bad instrument you can't be a miracle worker; a decent
player can make anything sound good. And, despite the "challenges" with it, I
still practice as I normally would, working on things I'm supposed to.

The sound is in you, not your Horn.

-William

PS: Speaking of Yamahas, every one I've ever played on is stuffy. Has anyone
else had this experience or is it just me and my personal preferences?