Supposedly cryogenic treatment of an instrument will reduce metal
stress made by metal working procedures in manufacter or repair.  Any
time metal is worked (bended, straightened, etc.) the metal gets harder
(more brittle) and does not respond as easily to vibration.

Temperature treating can either be done by annealing (heat) or by
freezing (cryogenics).  True, there are some that do not subscribe to
the second option, stating that the molecules or crystalline structure
of the metal returns to normal after freezing.

The cryogenic process has been used for over 30 years in industry
(diesel engines, golf clubs, rifles, saws, etc.).  The process itself
isn't't that expensive, though recent marketers are offering this
treatment well into the hundreds of dollars.

If done correctly, cryogenic treatment takes 3-4 days.  The item is
lowered to the desired temperature gradually and left there for 24
hours.  After the desired time, the instrument is then slowly returned
to room temperature.

If you live near a moderate sized city, you might be able to find a
place to have your instrument treated.  There is a place in our town
that does it for well under $100.

Our trumpet professor has had several of his instruments treated and he
notices a distinct difference.  I had a very old instrument treated
because of severe bell damage and the treatment resurrected a dead
bell.

Treating a new instrument supposedly relaxes the metal so that it plays
more freely; similar to a well-broken in horn.  As a caveat, not all
instruments show improvement, thus it is not a universal cure.  I have
noticed some difference in 75% of the instruments I have seen.

So, if you want to try to turn your instrument into a hornsicle, then
be aware of the variety of prices offered by different companies.  The
worst that can happen is that you will not notice any difference.  I
have not heard of an instance in where this treatment adversely
affected the instrument.  Maybe other readers have.  We'll see how the
response is to this thread.

Sincerely,

Eldon Matlick

=====
Dr. Eldon Matlick,  Horn Professor, University of Oklahoma
Principal Hornist, OK City Philharmonic
500 W Boyd
Norman, OK  73019
(405) 325-4093 off. (405) 325-7574 fax