On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> If our teachers and mentors discouraged us instead of encouraged us,
> where would we be?

It isn't so black and white.  From the experienced teacher's point of
view, it would be doing a disservice to our students *not* to let them
know when we believe that they face an uphill struggle when we recognize
certain warning signs that we have seen many times before.  If we are
criticised for warning students before they invest their resources, then
we can also be criticised later for withholding from them what our
experience tells us.

Telling students the statistical truth can be done upliftingly, hurtfully,
detached; it stings any way.  A highly motivated student in a high risk
category might by force of will become exceptional; the teacher's warning
might be a strong element of the motivation to succeed.  Please look
within before blaming your teacher for ruining your life.

I speak as a math teacher; the principles are the same, and so is the
dilemma.  We are damned if we do, damned if we don't.  This is so
depressing.

        {  David Goldberg:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  }
        { Math Dept, Washtenaw Community College }
                 { Ann Arbor Michigan }