"We musicians have always been in the lead when it comes to ignoring race."
B.B.

Bill,

Maybe yes, maybe no. Read Willie Ruff's autobiography "Call to Assembly".
Even as recently as the late 1940's it was impossible or next to impossible
for an Afro-American to get a job in a major orchestra. The musician union
locals were also segregated.  Opportunities for Afro-American singers were
limited to roles such as Othello and in Porgy and Bess.  I suppose that one
can say that the glass ceiling has cracked and that today we have more of a
meritocracy based on talent, still the fact that significant numbers of
Afro-Americans have not flocked to the western classical music ranks in
itself, says something.  In the Big Band Era, it was the white bands that by
and large got the lucrative recording contracts (yes I know that there were
exceptions) and the bands themselves were organized along racial lines
(Benny Goodman gets credit for integrating his band in a time of segregated
bands).

I know that you said "good Americans" implying to me, anyway, that there are
still many out there who assume postures of racial superiority. Still, I
think that there is no denying that racism is alive and well in the United
States. It manifests itself today much differently than in past times but it
is still there, without a doubt. In the last several years my family has
become multi-racial and I am surprised at how some members of my family are
treated, even in Boston and New York City.

I suppose one could ask: Ah, but how is this horn related ?  It is
horn-related in that if western classical music is to endure, then we must
broaden the audience, and the fact remains that persons of color do not
represent in any great numbers those who patronize western classical music.
I think we all realize that there is a larger problem here, and that is the
fact that support for western classical music is declining among all
demographic segments of the population.  I tend to be somewhat pessimistic
about the future (just my nature, I guess, the glass has always been
half-empty for me).  I fear that I don't share your optimism. The United
States is a much bigger country than the area south of Los Angeles.

Caveat lector

Mark L.