Great point. I often think as people think of 20th century composers
Hindemith is one of those that is often skimmed over. When I was working on the sonata
for 4 horns that he wrote with a quartet I got a great chance to study his
composition style.

It is so mathematical and precise that it takes a long time and a lot of
contact with the subject matter to truly understand Hindemith's music. As a result
for program notes, I agree it would be best to keep it simple since most
people will not appreciate it as deeply as serious musicians do.

However bearing that in mind the audience will not relate to biographical
statistics as much as they will anecdotal evidence. Find an unusual artifact
about the piece, perhaps an unusual story or something people can relate to.

For example if you are doing a Mozart Horn concerto a brief story about his
association with Joseph Leutgeb and maybe even how Mozart's father loaned him
money to start a cheese shop. Or with Haydn's horn concerto you can talk about
Haydn and Mozart's acquaintenceship and how Haydn taught Mozart to be more
musical in the melodic lines and even (and I'm not 100% certain on this) that
Haydn stated once that he wrote the Horn concerto "in his sleep."

Find something your audience can relate to - a story or an amusing tidbit of
information. They'll relate to you a lot better and maybe even it will help
them enjoy the piece more. I mean, to the layperson, Hindemith is difficult to
follow so it's better to cushion the blow on their unwashed ears.

-William