Anne,
       You think that is a stupid question?  Not at all!  I think that the
best reference for you would be Marvin C. Howe's The Advancing Hornist.  I don't
know how accessible it is, (I only ever have seen it at Interlochen) but it
is a great book to learn how to be more lyrical in your playing.  The first
volume is very appropriately titled The Singing Hornist.  There is a very lengthy
introduction explaining everything and well worth the read.  The exercises
range from very mild to "meh" in terms of technique, but it's a wonderful
reference for becoming more of a musician than a robot playing fingerings.  Hope
that helps!
       On that note, I just was wondering if anyone else has heard of this
book because when my teacher this summer told me to get it, it was a great tool.
 I still use things from it every day in practice.

Michael Scheimer,
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2003 Interlochen Arts Camp Concert Band,
2002, 2003 PMEA Honors Band and 2003 District Orchestra, 2004 District Band
Founding co-member of Fünf Brass Quintet