A lot of funny boozings. But what do to prevent valves getting sluggish
?

Oil them with care. Use a clean thin acid free synthetic oil. Do not
over oil them.

Very important: water empty the horn carefully after playing & oil the
horn then before laying it down for a while.

Rinse the horn several times a year, using a very mild detergent (dish
washer additive).

Do not feed yourself during intermissions or just before you start
playing. Or, clean your teeth before playing. Prevents a lot of trouble.

Get your valve rotors cleaned every few years by using some ultra sonic
device as jewellers use. This device is for sale & costs just about
50.-USD or so and is easily stored away (small). Rotors are placed in a
liquid & all dirt (if any) falls off then. Carefully oiling & replacing
the rotors in the casings, bearing plates on top, a small tube plain cut
on top & light hammering on the plate to fix it, closing the valve cap.
Thatīs it.

Your valves will last long, remaining tight exceeding your life long
playing activity easily.

You might not compare the rotor action with any machine action. It is
not comparable. If you handle the horn carefully, there is no wear
inside or outside the horn. It all depends on your action.

Well, some individuals might produce some very aggressive body liquids.
They might rinse the horn every week. It is not an extensive effort &
takes just a few minutes, including the re-oiling & fresh greasing the
slides .

I am fortunate not to produce aggressive exhaust & do not produce sweat
in my left hand, so my horns were never affected by corrosion. The
oldest horn is over 25 years but still tight as on the first day. There
is no repair patch. Nor is there any hand guard as a protective (this is
another chapter of corrosion  besides dampening influence for the
sound). And I use(d) the horn under "heavy duty" conditions. But the
horns duties are shared now with two other horns of the same model since
1996.

My horns might be in the top class price-wise, special at the current
exchange rate, but they are exclusive special checked long lasting
"toys" for those interested in the true "old fashion" horn sound (in the
best meaning of the words). As the horns are produced in a low number
only, I can care about every single horn & test play it in regular
performances or solo including Long Call, to keep the high level. Now
they come only as polished silver plated  & partly gold plated with
mother-of-pearl inlays at the valve keys, valve caps & back screws.
Believe me, I would not care that much if the product would not be worth
the care.

Individuals really interested might visit my home page.

BTW: some new horn concertos are ready:
Johann Anton Andres: Concerto (sounds near Mozart, no wonder, he was his
publisher), Dornaus & Andre: Concerto for 2 horns op.14 (new edition,
sounds near Mozart also), 4 Concert pieces by Carl Matys (cellist friend
of Flying Dutchman first performer hornist Carl Daniel Lorenz =
C.D.Lorenz), lovely romantic concerts (piano reductions as well as score
& parts), a lot of horn quartet collections by Erich Pizka (originals in
the style of Anton Wunderer & Karl Stiegler, arrangements, total 5
volumes, all written with Finale, score & parts).

Sorry to advertise here, but some list members might be interested & new
members probably have never heard about my publishing or about my web
site.

Prof.Hans Pizka, Pf.1136
D-85541 Kirchheim - Germany
Fax: 49 89 903-9414 Phone: 903-9548